There are only a few instances when the period when a perpetrator of a crime can be charged and convicted never expires:
- If you kill someone: A charge of murder can be made at any time.
- Fraud and embezzlement: You will be looking over your shoulder forever.
- War Crimes: If you commit a series of crimes against humanity – a la Slobodan Milosevic – then you will never be forgiven just because you have lived a long happy life.
- Kidnapping: Do not think you can get away with taking someone’s children.
- Treason: Some of our famous spy cases have been prosecuted decades after the events took place. We never forgive (more…)